Monday, January 22, 2007

Bush's Tin Ear, Tin Horn Health Care Plan

If I had time I would dissect the Courant's Sunday article on Bush's health care plan. I would say it does four things:
  • Taxes the sick and old
  • Rewards companies to drop plans
  • Encourages individuals to pay or insure individually
  • Will leave less people insured, more paying the full sticker (sucker) price for procedures.
Krugman did a pretty good, if incomplete job of it. Here is my comment posted with Krugman's article:

"Gold Plated" is in the eye of the Decider:

I am 60, recently retired. My former employer offers health insurance to retirees at cost - retirees pay the whole thing, about $17,000 a year for two people - not knocking my former employer, they charge based on the age of retirees covered, they must. According to George this is "Gold Plated", although it is the same coverage available for average age employees at several thousand less.

Other stories I read about people with individual policies that later fell into long term conditions pay in the area of $3000 a month.

These are the "Gold Plated" that Bush would tax for having health insurance. Yet the coverage is nothing special at all.

This is simply a scheme to kill health insurance completely. Hopefully it will go the way of his Social Security plan last year.

Perhaps after the State-Of-The-Union I will have more to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that Bush's "harming people who have healthcare" plan is a nightmare that is specifically designed to help the ultra-rich at the expense of those middleclass americans who received healthcare from their employers as part of their overall benefit packages. It is shameful and I am so grateful that the 2006 elections will prevent that poorly constructed idea from ever reaching fruition!