Monday, January 1, 2007

War Stories

That picture of me is from a tour in Korea courtesy of the draft. For now I will summarize my military career, as I often do, as “A lot like the movie MASH, without the blood”. The movie came out while I was there. Originally censored by the Army, yet such a stink arose, they said it was just put up to a higher review board, which then approved it because “it was not like the Army and everyone would recognize it as a farce”.

It seems that if you are a veteran you have so much more credibility -- a genuine Patriot, America’s Finest, not eligible to be a Chicken Hawk. Like the cities that used to fight by having just their leader fight and that would determine the victor, one would guess that any argument could be decided by trading war stories and the person most closely resembling a hero would win all the points -- unless, the louder, more militant speaker loses that comparison. -- sort of how Bush and Cheney seem to trump Kerry, McCain, and Gore.

I probably should not have much credibility on either count. Reluctantly drafted and not a volunteer; by luck of the draw went to Korea not Vietnam; served as a company clerk and mail clerk. Yet, perhaps I can trump more than those who had “other priorities” or were lucky enough to be born when there was no war (before my time), won in the draft lottery (just after my time), or were classified 4-F. And even though a company clerk, I did have jungle infantry training – so I could trump those that trained as clerks, or had just simple infantry training, not to speak of those sent to Germany rather than a rustic Korea.

As Bush Sr said “I was a hero because someone shot my plane down” (not exact quote), McCain is only a hero because he managed to survive as a prisoner, made possible because he and his plane did not make it back. I rate John Kerry more of a hero for starting Vietnam Veterans Against the War than anything he has done before or since.

Still, there is a lot I learned in the Army, a lot of fun stories I could share, some knowledge that applies to our defense/foreign policy. Even in Korea, I met some people in the Army I highly respect, perhaps even heroes. As reluctant as I was, I did step forward when called. And let me include those of my generation who left for Canada or elsewhere in those whom I respect, along with those who maintained a semblance of integrity in their own conduct in the war while either for or against it.

No comments: